Wednesday, May 26, 2010

THERAPY (Two places. WWP)

At We Write Poetry, we were asked to write about two different places we had been recently. This was a no-brainer, or rather a scattered-brainer and sore-shoulderer!


THERAPY (Two places, WWP prompt)

Strrrrretch two-three-four-five
Relax
Bend this way
Now resist when I pull on your arm
…eight, nine, ten. Good
The film showed
some damage
You may need to up the pain meds
Possibly surgery
A little ultrasound and that’ll be it for today
Schedule our next PT session for Tuesday


It’s a stretch
to relax
when my brain is bent this way
I’m resisting, but I view
the film again
slow-motion emotional damage
I may need to up the anxiety meds
But I won’t need surgery or ECT
A little more crying and that’ll be it for today
Schedule our next counseling session for Wednesday

Therapy: Physical, Psychological
Both to stretch and strain
Both with all to gain

© 2010 Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! Sounds like busy Wednesdays!

    Nice parallels: stretch, relax, bend, resist, film, damage, meds, surgery, schedule... So total...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A unique twist on the prompt, I think. The last two lines are my favorite...could apply to SO many things!

    Mary
    http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/05/walking-places.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you juxtaposed the two kinds of therapy, the two different locations, and yet used their commonalities to connect them. Well done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice juxtaposition, Amy.
    A little more crying and that'll be it--doesn't just go for therapy

    ReplyDelete
  5. really like what you did wih the prompt...thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried to comment on some of your blogs - Wayne, just said of yours:
    The movement from trash heap to fertile garden... I'm an environmental activist, this was personally so satisfying. And, as Irene noted, "scavenging an avalanche of lifetime notes" has an excellent internal rhythm. Great take on this prompt, Wayne!

    ....but the comment would NOT take. Sorry to all, I really do visit you. Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

    ReplyDelete