Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Big Top

THE BIG TOP

Under the big top streaked with gray
They dance and perform; they’re at constant play

One is careening across center ring
in a clown car with spears – a most treacherous thing

The acrobats tumble across beds of nails
Trapeze artists regularly slip amid wails

There’s no net to catch them, so when they have fallen
for sweepers with hoses the master comes callin’

The freak show’s so real even grownups grow faint
There’s one star: it’s me, off my meds - fun it ain’t

A banchee, a dervish, and funhouse in one
My bipolar circus has merely begun

(c) 2010 Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this poem. With all the characters mentioned, it made me want to go to the circus once again!

    http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is great fun! I love the twist!

    Be sure to post this on the Come One, Come All post: http://bigtentpoetry.org/2010/05/come-one-come-all-may-7/ as I am not sure many people go back to the prompt.

    You'll get the hang of it, every site is a little different. :-)

    Welcome to the Big Tent! Glad you found us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sharply written....funny and well written Angie...thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, no fun.
    I like your big top streaked with gray, clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B., glad you caught the inference that the gray-streaked "big top" was indeed my hair!

    Thx, Wayne! Mary, I'm not sure my circus would be your cup of tea; it's a bit frenetic, but yes, the circus per se can be a lot of fun! Dab, thanks for your tip about reposting.

    Peace to all, Amy

    ReplyDelete