Wednesday, May 12, 2010

POETIC FORMS (a little commentary/rant!)

POETIC FORMS

Forms
are not within my norms

Haiku
too small a hoop to leap through

(BLEEP)
I meant “through which to leap”

Ghazal
piecing together words, a jigsaw puzzle

Shadorma
I gave up, frustrated… pro forma

Sestina
I’d rather eat Wheateena

Those
who excel in forms, I offer you kudos

Me?
Just another free-verse devotee

(Online meetings for Haiku Anonymous forming now. All comments must be in 5-7-5 format.)

© 2010 Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil

7 comments:

  1. I think this was great--
    no one else can write like you,
    you talented nut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mosk. Coming from a kindred spirit such as yourself, I take this as a great compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha loved this. I like to try forms just because I like the idea of the discipline but it's kind a like sitting in one position for a long time. There can be very good reasons for it but to get rid of the stiff cramps you got to walk/run it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Amy! Forms tend to drive me nutso, too, though I've fallen in love with the Shadorma and the Fib in the last year. Don't even get me started on the Sestina. Loathe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the forms. But, now, when I go back to free verse, I feel lost, like I've lost my cadence, my rhythm. I imagine I'll get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TO ALL: Now here's a cruel irony. I've started thinking in forms. It just started. Maybe my psychiatrist can treat this manifestation!! I literally thought in haiku yesterday at a coffee shop. But De, yes, Sestinas, aargh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GEEZ! I just noticed Mosk commented in haiku. Didn't even catch it. Sorry, Buddah! ;^)

    ReplyDelete